Friday, December 1, 2006

A classic weekend



So the minor dry spell of auditions is starting to crack. I have 4 coming up this weekend. The odd thing is that they are all for plays. In LA, plays or live theatre seem to always be a surprise. Just not what you expect here. Seriously though, why would you? You don't go to Vegas for the libraries. You don't go to Hawaii for the museums. You don't come to LA hoping to do live theatre. I was in an audition a couple weeks back and chatting with another guy there to audition. He asked what I did mostly and I told him I had just moved here from Chicago, that I mostly did live shows and improv. He seemed genuinely impressed and said, "oh that's real acting, I could never do that." I didn't bother to inquire how he was planning on walking into the next room to audition. Conference call?

OK, so I got derailed there. The strange part about the upcoming auditions is less that they are for live theatre and more that all 4 are classical monologue requirements. I kid you not, I have 2 auditions for Romeo and Juliet tomorrow alone. My Shakespeare monologues are sort of the accessory of my audition tools. I know there backward and forwards, but it seems rare I need them. I tried polishing off a new "classical monologue," or at least period a while back. I chose a great passage from Pride and Prejudice . Of course, I was in a rebellion phase of auditions at the time and would occasionally show up to audition for a doctor role in garage shirts. Long story short, the Austin monologue failed utterly and I never went back.

So here's to a great weekend for one and all. Me and the Bard will be tight.

No comments: