Friday, June 4, 2010

Running

It's been an unusual week. My Grandma Coleman passed away Memorial Day. She was my last living grandparent and her tenacity always made me feel better. Even in the end, I'd like to think she was certain to leave on her terms. None the less, I miss her much. Each of my grandparents held a certain affinity for me. My Grandma and Grandpa Ohlrogge were the ones I knew best. My Grandpa Coleman passed when I was pretty young and yet I somehow still remember his laugh. It feels very lonely, somehow, to know that my last connection the that generation in my family has gone. I could go on and on about living on in our hearts but that is something that needs no explanation. I will miss her much. Soon I hope to "just quit" smoking as she did (and told me about repeatedly). That feels like a nice way to honor her.

The other element that has weighed in has been the timing of the Minneapolis Marathon I have been training for. It is this Sunday. It seemed like a no brainer that I would drop out and be here for my family with the likelihood the services would be this weekend too. When it was decided that the funeral would be Monday, the dilemma became acute. My priorities are sound and I only had to deal with wishful thinking (like I wish the race was 2 weeks out). Then Dad said something that changed my mind. He said Grandma would have wanted me to run. He said it made her very proud to hear that I did the Chicago Marathon last fall.

With that said I am now sitting at DIA waiting to board my flight.

My Dad could not come. Tiff could not come. Mom could not come. For my second marathon, I will be doing it without my family offering encouraging cheers. With the risk of sounding overly sentimental though, I do feel like I will have someone with me. With deep gratitude for the ability to do this I ask only from god to watch over my loved ones. Grant me light feet to match a heavy heart.

Time to run...

3 comments:

aworkinprogress said...

I'm so sorry about your loss. I'm sure that you'll feel her with you with every footfall of your run. *hug*

mommasitta said...

.........run TROY run...........

Anonymous said...

love you, baby. that was a sweet post. I know she'll be with you--as we all are! cheering you on!
-T