Friday, November 23, 2007

Thoughts on Black Friday



I have been saving this one for the right time. As we enter the "buy everything and don't think about the debt" season, I thought it would be a good time to reflect on some of the corporations I have had some dealings with over the last few months. I am not saying don't buy from them, but just consider where yo are endorsing. If the customer is always right, that is only so long as they are spending money. No fault there. After all, who would think much of their employers if they stopped paying us?

Currently I have a broken phone, a cracked computer, and a pair of sunglasses that have a lens that falls out. These things happen, but not usually within a year of purchase. The kicker is that these products came from such reputable companies as Samsung (Sprint), Apple, and Oakley. So, occassionallythings break. I get that. Here is what happened when I attempted to take care of them.

Sprint:
It took a hour and a half (with no phone) for them to tell me the face was shattered. Hmmm... thank you? I was then informed that the high-end phone I purchased last November (that occasionally freaks out and freezes up) is no longer being made. I am eligible for a replacement of "equal quality." They did not however have one in the store. I would have to wait for one to be sent in. Not a problem, if I had a steady address right now. Apparently they did not have any of these rare Razor phones that everyone is holding. Perfect, a phone store without a phone to give me.

Oakley:
I tried to take them back into the store just a month or so after buying them. They tried tightening them and had the same problem I did, no success. Here's the fun part. Rather than give me an "equal quality" replacement, I had to actually send them in. I needed an "expert" to determine that they were broken and then send me another pair. Again, my nomadic life does not work with their policy of send you the fixed ones. Also again, I find myself in a store that does not have the product on its sign to give me.

Apple:
My fancy, new Mac Book has apparently a common defect. They crack where we right handers rest our palm. I have already heard through the grapevine that they will take my computer and send it away. Sounds about right. My first iPod was a disaster of send it in. Again and again I sent it in, till my warrantee was expired.

American Girl:
I know they were not on the list, but they are my employer right now and they did decide not to pay me recently. My boss, cow-tailed to an ignorant angry customer. This individual called and decided he should not have to pay for the 2 extra people that showed up and sat at his table with him because they were not on the reservation. Despite them being there, me waiting on them, and them being friends and all... he still determined paying for them was not his responsibility. My manager (fearing the loss of the entire sale) said yes sir and refunded him the two meals they were served. That also came out of my pocket and apparently she decided that was a price I should pay as well. I have the cheap bastards name and credit card last 4 digits if anyone would like to have a go at him.

So there it is. a few thoughts on some of the companies I have had business with lately. I thought I was stepping up my quality by shopping with better reputations. However, when the sale was finished, so was their responsibility to me. Today is nicknamed "Black Friday" for its renowned shopping crowds. Your dollars are powerful, but only in your pocket. Once you give them out, you you are no longer important to them. You are not a customer, you are a service number. Chose your places to endorse carefully. There are some great merchants out there that still want you satisfied after you own their product. Ideally you would send more people to them. Tell me your great merchants. Tell each other. Support them.

Happy Black Friday!

3 comments:

TSC said...

Sorry, love. I feel your pain and frustration. I feel like I don't even know of any great, quality merchants to endorse. Aside from a coffee shop or two. But it does seem that I'm starting to know a bevy of friends who are into selling their own products--maybe we should buy jewelry from Dorrie and my mom, beer from Nate, a nutrition consultation from Becky, and that sort of thing for our loved ones this year!

~M. said...

As much as it sucks, I find that quality can also be inconsistent (a lot depends on outsourcing, but don't get me started!). I have had both good and bad luck with Apple and also with Sprint. I was with Nextel and always had great service, even recommending them to many people. The new Sprint has been spotty, but still better than other stories I've heard. I do prefer to support local, individual owned companies whenever possible, but even those are subject to a person's staff and/or the owner's whims.

Since you're in Chicago now though... there is one place I can highly recommend. An art store on Roscoe, just west of Damen... Sacred Art. The woman who owns it is delightful and service is amazing. We bought many things for ourselves (like my engagement jewelry!) and for friends whenever we could; sometimes we'd stop in just to chat and not spend any money at all. She sells art by local artists and prices are totally reasonable.

Oh, and if you're in the mood for baked goods (they ship), try TipsyCake. Naomi, the owner, is also wonderful and the food is delicious.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Your insight and honesty is very much appreciated. I hate to find out about how poor a companies "customer service policies" really are after I'm one of their customers! More Blog now please............