Saturday, June 4, 2011

Last Lap

I have truly enjoyed the connection running has given me to the places I have been. When I have been on the roar, even to familiar places, going out for a run seems to be giving me a richer experience there. From the back roads of Ohio to the Hollywood hills, I have enjoyed greatly being out running. There's a solitary connection to the scenery that's tough to explain.

Today, I laced up and hit my punishing 8 mile loop I try once a week. It curves around some quiet, barely used paths before a 2 mile, steady incline on a busy, shade-free stretch. From the high point I can see beyond downtown Denver, easily 50 miles or so.

I have always enjoyed my final runs before leaving a familiar area. My Hollywood 3.5 mi loop, my Lakeshore Drive out & backs, and now my quiet office park loops. It feels like the last regular run should be sentimental, but it never feels bad. Perhaps it's the endorphins or the ever present drive to complete the distance, but it always feels good.

I am excited to see the new routes at my new home. I am even suspicious there is a considerable hill nearby to do regular battle with.

No comments: