Monday, January 15, 2007


Tiff recently wrote, " LA is as brutal as it comes. New York, for all it's grit and height and compaction--rises above the detorioration of LA's best."

I feel the burning of opinion here...

I couldn't agree more with your synopsis of LA. As for its "art" that supposedly exsists, why would anyone want to try to find it? If the plastic coating is so thick and self-sustaining in its BS justification and pomp, who gives a damn that real art and inspiration have created a fall-out shelter deep beneath the surface of Tinsle Town? True, there is real art and artists here. True great work is being done here. Honestly though, what is the point of waiting to find it? For some this is a dream. I do not fault anyone their dream or where they chose to find it. To me though, art should not have to survive in a bunker and those chosing to pursue it should not constantly have remind themselves why? It should be evident all around them, inspiring them and guiding them.

Is New York such a place? I don't know for certain. What I know is that I have not tried to live there. I do not know what it is like to survive on Rammen until my body just rejects it like one artist I know there. None the less, I do know having lived no closer than 1000 miles to the Big Apple thus far that there is great art being done and readily available for all to see.

My resume to date includes Denver, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, and now LA. Three of the four biggest cities in our country. Lately I have joked with people that all I need is NY to finish my punch card. They tell me I will win a trip to London then. I haven't got it in me to tell them I tried that too.

No comments: