Thursday, February 8, 2007

Nice guy, a tough habit?


So I am currently in tach week for a show called the Marriage of Heaven and Hell. To be concise, it combines the elements of William Blake's Proverbs of Hell (all 70 of them), Live music, improvised movement (and choice of proverbs), live lights and camera operators, clutter filler Purgatory (including 12 TV's running), a wedding, factions from Heaven and Hell, and nine actors. Oh and there's a Slinky. That last part is really not very important, just stuck me as a nice button to the list. So, all this is being blended to one hour long late night show, here in Movie Town. I oddly am enjoying it though. Everyone on stage and behind it seems oblivious to the staggering odds against this and consequently are pouring their hearts into it. That is awsome! I co-directed a show back in Chicago a few years ago that had EVERY element of success going for it, yet it lacked that commitment by so many involved that it barely sustained its run. The best truly was when we flew fast and loose my friend! (inside joke)

This brings me to my point, at least the one that made me want to write. Over the last few years I have sought to challenge myself by playing more sweet, humble, and vulnerable characters when I can. As I more often play scum, it's been nice trying the meeker guys. I did this through most of Second City and brought it out here, apparently. I received a similar note after rehearsal a week or so ago, one I've heard frequently since trying my challenge. That note usually resmbles, "what would happen if that (character) finally lost it?"
I decided, perhaps it might be time to let the nice guy finish last again. Lo and behold, my personal Mr. Hyde was waiting at the door. It took no time to change my persona on stage from victim to alpha dog, when I want it. I certinly did not get pushed (perverbially) anymore. I know I can take control on stage, in improv, or just with physical movement. I am enjoying the strength again in that confidence and am looking to hone it further.

A brief side note here though. By this sort of bravado, I am still adhering to the principles I was taught in improv and simple etiquitte on stage. I still strive to make others look good and never try to overpower someone without them having a say in things. That's just shitty. It's fun to take the fall, but not because you were sucker punched.

Now, the question raised in this confidence, swagger renaissance is how far has this gone in my life beyond the stage? I know I have Jeckyl and Hyde at all times. That is essentially a drunk's story. I know I have worked hard to improve my life and become responsible and trustworthy. Believe me, I needed it. Boxing cops used to sound like a good idea. I wonder though if I have declawed the cat too much though? Am I in need of a little more aggression again? I am referring towards my carreer as an actor mostly. It takes a lot to keep trying and I don't feel tappped at all, but would that cockiness help me some? i spek of course in a moderation perspective. Where else has my life lacked some of this element? Is being a nice guy actually a tough habbit to break? Or just a lousey cliche?

1 comment:

Nate said...

Dude, I have this exact same thought when dealing with certain characters - memorably the Duke in 12th Night. Mark had to really poke me to get me properly "alpha", my natural get-along-ness was coming through too much.

...though on the other hand, it takes about 1/2 a second and one snide word on the broomball rink for me to be ready to throw down with a vengeance, so it's obviously in me. Weird.