Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Three Weeks


I am now three weeks into the latest (and last, hopefully) quit smoking effort. All is well thus far but there is a part of me that is not sure how much of that is due to familiarity and how much is due to the 21mg patch on my back. I am excited to almost be ready to go to Step 2 patches. It will feel a little like I am getting somewhere. That is one of the frustrating parts about quitting something that's not so good for you.


On one hand you want a lot of credit and accalaid for it because it's hard and awkward and you feel like a fucking alien. On the other hand, you are finally doing what you are supposed to be doing. People don't get awards for going to work, paying their bills, and not stealing. That is what they are SUPPOSED to do. That took a long time after I quit drinking to get through my head. I think it's also a problem my entire generation is struggling with. The "participant" award troubles. Seems we were brought up to believe that just showing up was all we needed to win something. Life does not seem to work that way. There are winners and there are losers. I get to be both, sometimes several times a day. What I don't get is a seat on the train just because I made it to the platform?!? "No fair!" Heh.

Wow, I didn't even see that soapbox coming...

In other news, last Saturday Tiff and I visited the Big Easy right here in the Windy City. We cracked open the Beignet Mix and Chicory Coffee I bought down at Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. They came out pretty good actually. Tiff enjoyed making them so much, she eventually took over and I sugared and ate. I thought this was an acceptable arrangement. We then boogied over to our friend Dana's place for his annual Crawfish Boil.




Dana went to college in Louisiana and once a year has a bunch of crawfish shipped up. The event is amazing, even if you are a little creeped out by it. Even the tremendous rain bursts we saw could not stop the enjoyment. They were delicious. Our cajun day in Chicago was a lot of fun!

Lastly, I got a message this morning from my Mom. Jenn (Adam's wife), is at the hospital and in the early stages of labor. My brother is in the air on the way home right now. It's funny in that last night he called me to tell me he was on the top of the Empire State Building. Perhaps before I am even back on the dock tonight from a pirate show I am helping with, I will have a nephew!

This would be the ocassion to get an award just for showing up!

ps:
As of 12:53pm Chicago time, I have a nephew!! Lincoln Adam Coleman has arrived!!

3 comments:

Nate said...

Yay new nephew, and yay for three weeks! I hear you re: wanting a prize for stuff you're supposed to do... But, dammit, sometimes I need some reinforcement even if it's supposed to be obvious behavior!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about the "doing what you should just be doing" thing. I once bragged to my brother that I had gone 2 months without a cigarette. He smugly replied that he had gone 35 years. Bastard.

Congrats on the nephew! When do you get to meet him?-C.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the "3 week" note. Reach for the stars!