Sunday, September 11, 2011

"Don't you have a TV?"

I was debating whether to say anything today. So many people have said so many things already (and still are). What's one more blog commentary? At the same, it feels like ignoring the elephant in the room to not say anything. So here's my modest thoughts on the matter.

Ten years ago, I was serving coffee at a neighborhood Starbucks in Chicago when a frantic guy interrupted my grinding a pound to demand why we didn't have a TV. Thinking it was another crazy request and an over-indulging coffee hose, I blew it off for my last 15 seconds of naivety. We all know the rest of the events that morning. I helped close the coffee shop and went home like so many and thought what do I do now?

In the 10 years since, I am still no less floored at the bravery of the people on Flight 93 and the first responders in DC and New York. I can not watch footage without emotions welling up. There seems an incredible disbelief where our country has gone in 10 years to fight terror. From eliminating picking up loved ones at their arriving planes to wars on two continents, we still seems to be shouting at the void to ward off the boogie man. As a country, it feels we are no further from danger than we were the day after those attacks.

However, beyond the pessimistic perspective I just detailed, I am more optimistic than not. I witnessed for the first time an unadulterated national pride ten years ago the like my generation had never known. That is never forgotten. I have seen true heroes, bit that day and every day since who offer to serve so that my life may be protected.

Today, I went for a long run. It was predawn and the air was cool and quiet. As I put one mile after another, I just kept thinking of the bravery exhibited 10 years ago. I watched the sky get lighter and lighter and felt a true peace inside. I pray that all that were affected with loss at the hands of lunatics on that horrific day could feel a moment of that peace today.

To simply say thank you to the men and women who rushed in to help and have been helping ever since feels insignificant. None the less, I thank you.

1 comment:

mommasitta said...

Well said! Amen and thank you!