Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Name Game


A name. It can say so much. We seem to live in an era where corporations have nigh religious stature to their names. Companies like McDonalds, Disney, and Starbucks all seem to have near bullet proof names. Then, on occasion, one of these entities fall from grace. Scandal or poor practice can undo them. But why are the names so valuable? What is it that makes us so much more aware of the title than it's contents? Even those that would claim to not be swayed by such things are usually just referring to avoiding the popular ones (which is essentially the same thing then). I wonder sometimes.



Personally, I tend to appreciate when I find a company that produces a product that I am very much in love with that asks a fair price for (ahem, Seattle kilt maker). My boots will always be Gripfast for example. To me that's a security in the product. After all, our dollars spent make the world go 'round. Which way do we want it to go?

No comments: