Saturday, June 15, 2013

Big Gay 5K

This weekend is PrideFest in Denver. I'm involved in the parade through Dwell tomorrow and pretty excited to see my Jeep turn into a big gay "float." At the informational meeting on Monday I heard about a new event this year, "The Big Gay 5K." I was pretty excited. So often these events are strictly music, food and booze. Nothing against all that, it's great. I was excited to see a running event tagged on. It feels great to do something I love to do to help celebrate the event. I was going to go for a run today anyways.

I'm also very inexperienced with the 5K distance. After marathons, it doesn't seem like a difficult distance. That said, it is a completely different race. To start, it is a TON faster. Unless your name is Ryan Hall or Meb, you would never take off in a marathon at those speeds. It felt like a sustained tempo run. They chose a great course and it was a lot of fun. There were great costumes and fantastic spirit. Of course there were the 2 guys that were warm-up sprinting before the start that let me know today wasn't the day I was going to win one of these. It didn't bother me though, I wanted to run fast but still have fun. If I was going to fast to smile and enjoy it, why was I there?

I finished in the first 10 and had the great opportunity to stand at the finish to cheer the rest of the field as they crossed. It was wonderful! 

No comments: