Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sharing the road

I just wanted to give a shout out to all the drivers out there that share the road. I have noticed on my many shoulder runs there are two different types. The driver that will yield a little to avoid driving right past you when they can and the drivers that actually hug the far line to demonstrate their ownership of the road. Sheer physics alone dictates car wins every time. I have no interest in demanding their right of way. It is such a decent courtesy though when they have the opportunity to not drive so close to you, it felt worth mentioning. Whether on foot or bike, it is so appreciated when a motorist shows that little effort when you are doing all you can to show you will not enter their lanes.

This all apples though to the runners that are not inconsiderate and insist on running in actual lanes of traffic mind you. Those types are renegotiating on dangerous terms. I have encountered few spots, even out in my rural area, where a runner can not give a yard or two to oncoming vehicles.

Sharing the road can be a beautiful thing. It's also the law.

No comments: