Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Door Prizes in Denver

Living downtown now, I am discovering some subtle differences in Denver than Chicago or even LA. One of the differences I have recently been more aware of is that people parking downtown in the Mile High City have experienced very few "door prizes." By that I mean, apparently not many people lose their car doors when opening them wildly into traffic. It seems frequent enough here that a car door is opened wide into traffic that I have to presume more often than not, this activity is rarely followed by crunch. It mystifies me. Perhaps it was the years of a certain rules of the road mind set in Chicago, but it seems foolish and reckless to not assume a car will easily ruin your day if you leave your door open on the traffic side of the road. Sure, drivers are the party responsible for not hitting you, but personally I don't trust drivers to do what they are supposed to do. Hell, I never expect them too. That may explain why I don't get too frustrated in traffic. Low expectations. None the less, I am often perplexed to see a car door (and periodically a person hanging out of it) just open to traffic.

Ergo my conclusion that door prizes are seldom had in Denver.

No comments: