Friday, March 16, 2007

Hip and trendy?


So I was cast recently on a TV show called Minor Accomplishments. I was paid to come in and interview for the role of "poser." For the life of me I could not find the original submission and could learn very little about the show online. Much to my suprise and chagrin, I was cast. At that time I was just told I would be the "construct guy." Again I knew very little. Plus life was sort of raging away on other fronts so I didn't really think much about it.

My shoot day was yesterday. I got called at 9pm on Wed by the costumer. She began telling me the sort of looks they wanted me to bring in. I was suposed to be at the height of fashion and the scene. Ok, so here I had some trouble. In my ideal universe, I will only be cast in things I will then be costumed by. However, there are shows with smaller budgets and I do need a couple looks alone for auditioning. "Fashionable," "trendy," and "hip" are terms that I see often posted as character descriptions. I usually laugh and hit submit regradless. I can pull a couple things together most of the time. After all, isn't The Gap telling us through their most recent ad campaign that "individuality" is wearing plain white t-shirts and nondescript hoodies?

I attempted to purchase a couple trendy things that morning, having no luck after 9 on a Wed night. I bought my $16 American Apparel v-neck t-shirt and was seriously considering some Pumas at DSW before opting to chance my Chuck Taylors. After all, what good is it booking a job only to pay your entire wage on the clothes you need for it?

My sellection was modest, but the costumer liked what I had. We were warned they would have nothing for us on set. She told me she may have something for me to try on later. After lunch I was asked to head up to the suite in the hotel the costumers were using. There I was transformed in short order. My Chucks and white t-shirt were all I kept on. I was given a tight pair of Levi E jeans, a funky scarf, a black cardigan, and a black, straw Fadora. If I ever get a picture, I will gladly add it to this post. What was shocking to me was how interesting (and good) it felt to be decked out so thoroughly.

I had a blast, but doubt I could keep up full time with the raging needs of the fashionably obsessed. I usually am permitted a ton of fashion loop holes most do not get. I enjoy it. I need though, to tip my overpriced hat though to those lovely ladies on set yesterday. It was a great experience to feel that hip. Plus, I was a non-speaking role so my jack-assery never blew my cool candy shell cover!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jack-ass? i don't think anyone would describe you as that.
ha, and i love your observations on the Gap.

Nate said...

My brain just exploded a little bit, trying to reconcile that mental image of you looking all hip and trendy with the Troy I know and love... Ka. Boom. :)