Wednesday, March 7, 2007

LA welcomes me home


From the top of the world (I believe that is the Statosphere's motto) back to the depths of LA. It has been a tumultuous return, to say the least. On the plus side, I auditioned for a TV show, Minor Accomplishments and was cast as a featured background on Mon. That part is awsome. Everything else has been... changing.

The latest installment of LA wonderful came last night. I was helping a friend, covering her House Manager shift at IO West. All in all, I truly had much more on my mind and didn't feel a damn bit like being in a comedy club. I parked my Jeep just outside IO and actually felt grateful I had a spot I could see often while working. When the last group finally left after midnight, I went back to my Jeep to join my life already in progress.

At first all I noticed was that the cards I kept in my Jeep for my show were strewn about. I thought someone had just gotten in to steal the 35 cents I had in my tray. Then it hit me, how did they get in? Did they unzip a door? I circled around and that's when I saw the passenger window had been slashed. I jumped in to check my glove box, which I had locked. That's why there's a lock on it, right? It had been opened, and by all accounts not that forcefully. My new Oakley's and iPod were gone. Thinking this was my financial hit and being plenty bummed I hopped in and began to drive home. Then it hit me I had thrown my backpack behind my seat, satisfied that a black backpack would attract no attention at night so out of sight. I reach back and it was gone. It was essentially my PA kit. Included in it was my Thomas guide, 3 rachet straps, a Victorinox jacket, my leather set-gloves whith strap, and my surveilence ear-piece. Oh and it happened to have my journal also. The last year of my life, in my words and the words quoted of others. Gone.

I followed directions and went to the police station to fill out a report. I have never done this before, let alone in LA. I didn't know what to expect. As it turns out there was nothing to expect. I walked into a Police station here in Hollywood and there was no one there except one officer behind the desk. He looked curious to see me and then mildly imposed on when I told him why I was there. 10 Minutes later I walked out with my receipt and the comforting words that my "valuables" were probably sold quickly for drugs. The itemized list of lost posessions were: iPod= $200, earpiece= $125, Sunglasses= $150

I discovered getting back to the Jeep my trunk had been unhit (the theif would now be typing on this very keyboard), hankfully. However, the center compartment which was also LOCKED was opened. They nabbed my CD book and emergency CB radio. By that point the only thought that still haunted me was my bag had been tossed in a trash can in Hollywood and that if I could find it, the book would still be there. I circled a couple blocks peeking in every trash can I could find and was proceing down an alley of dumpsters when reason returned and I realized I still had more I could lose in Hollywood at 1am.


By the light of day now, I am getting ok with knowing it's just stuff. The journal was tremendously important, but it is not the life it chronicled. I am still here. I have that violated feeling of those that have had their space and property invaded. I doubt I will be able to replace everything right now, but I will someday. The final insult came when I went down to take a picture of the rip and see the inside to check for anything else. Amongst the cigarette ash all over the passenger seat, there was a burn. I have not so much as taken a drag in that vehicle in the now 1800 miles I have driven it. It's a no smoking ride in hopes of more of that to come for me. A cigarette burn. Ironic.

love you LA... you bitch

by the by, if any of you have security experience with a Jeep, I could use some pointers, obviously


miss you tink

2 comments:

jess said...

On the next job we'll get you some of that PA crap back. I'll get you a Thomas Guide at least on this job!

Nate said...

Dag, yo. Karen's had her car broken into twice, both times when we lived in "nice" neighborhoods. I used to drive the beater and never gave it a thought where I parked, but now my car looks nice and your tale of woe just made me think about cleaning some of the in-sight stuff up. CDs, etc.

Still, sorry hear. That majorly, massively sucks.