Saturday, March 10, 2007

Smoking kills

It's late and I am exhausted but not tired. Make any sense? Chances are the rest will only get more obscure. I am trying to piece together the elements of the last week and they do not fit. The Jeep. The police report. The departure. The confusion... It all seems like a surreal dream.

Here I sit in Hollywood. I have a job coming up and a couple auditions. I have 2 PA jobs booked. Shit is working, kinda. I miss the city though. I am desparately homesick. When I first got to Chicago, I was certain I was staying my lease year and leaving as quickly as I could. Something unexpected happened though.
I kept getting more rooted. Second City. Good friends coming every week it seemed. Work and show friends coming fast and furious. One year led to two. I began touring with my close friend and roomate, Scott. I reasoned my way into year 3 by explaining that Chicago was tollerable because I kept leaving it. I think for that entire third year I spent more time in Minneapolis rehearsing than I did in Chi. By year 4 I had a pretty good circle of friends in the Windy City. I belonged to a theatre company, worked often with another I loved, secured an agent and was living on my own. I had come to terms with my sexuality and no longer sweated it. Bigger promises were coming through the wire as well. My sights were raising.

I still thought of Chicago as "the town I loved to hate" though. I understood something though. I was not finished there and still could not move back to my beloved home even if I was. Then something wholey unexpected happened. Amidst a a year of constant theatre work, I met a girl.

This girl was a reckless, bohemian artist... best I could tell. She spoke in poetry and had a "fuck yes" sort of approach to the city and life. I found someone that seemed confident that we were each all that we needed to take the world. It was magical.

I discovered to my amazement that the unfinished business in Chicago was figuring out why so many people loved it. This girl finished that lesson. I loved my city at long last. It was home, or at least worthy of that term to me now. Unfortunately, I knew that and Secnd City were my final hurddles. It was time to go. Am I just that masochistic that I have to leave something I finally liked?


Well perhaps. It is in my nature to subject myself to the unplesantry repeatedly. Despite knowing it s not good for me, may even kill me. There is a warning not just for pregnant women on those little boxes.

I also got a little bit of a push. What suprised the fuck out of me was that I headed West, all the way West. It is so far West that we past the West to get here. This place is only defined as the West Coast. I find myself in Hollywood Land. I never imagined being here beyond a short stay. But hell, let's be honest. I never expected I was going to try moving to London either.


So here I am. I again have that sense there is something to be done here. I just don't know if that is to keep gunning for it or pack and consider myself lucky for not having taken the Kool-aid. I have met some extrordinary people here. The circle isn't as large as I had in Chicago, but no one here has to gather for warmth on a train platform after the bar/dance club closed at 4am. None the less there are a few sellect individuals I am very proud to call friends here.

Yet here I sit in Hollywood alone tonight. My choice. I didn't have it in me to be social this time. It's been a long time since a day went by without her voice. I can't fake comradery tonight. Just not happening. It is a town about faking it though...

All the same, is this a time I can ignore that sense of need still in me and go? Can I finally snub it out and crush the pack? It's frustrating. Will there be "trouble" or will there be "double?"

2 comments:

Codeface said...

People across the states think you're aces. Cryptic blogs or not, you've got a team in your corner pal.
peace

Nate said...

I'm not 100% (or even 80%) sure what all is going on towards the end of this post, but like Cody said the good news is you've got plenty of people and places backing you up. Hope this feeling passes and you come out the other side better and happier...