Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Monkey no like

So I have VERY quietly decided today was the day to quit smoking. It was the last day of my current job and the 27th. I always liked the number 27. I meant to buy some patches, but work has kept me running pretty hard as of late. I made it 6hrs today before a friend innocently enough asked if I wanted to go have a smoke. I said,"sure, if I can bum one." That was it.

I have been fighting a crippled fight since. There was some momentum in knowing I had not had one all day. I came home and bought a pack as my last one went down in a wattery ceremony last night (see on the left). I have not carried the pack but have gone to it now 4 times. In comparison to the pack and half I will easily pollish off of a set day, we are talking major improvement here. None the less, I am frustrated.

I hate that I feel I need to do it. That has me yearning to quit more than any scare tactic of financial or health consequence. After all I have been talking a great game on them for years and defiantly doing what smokers should not be able to do with ease. I proudly boasted "making this shit look good."HoweverI want them gone. It is the monkey on my back. A friend said something last Sun that seemed so oddly applicable. My interprettation of it was that I have to keep smoking to remember why I like to smoke. When I get enough distance they start to lose the almighty grip. I know I will probably always like them in some way or another. That is fine. I just am tired of them owning my ass. All bravado aside, I really am tired of them. Maybe tonight I can get those patches.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quit cold turkey on 03/27/1993. Had 5 cigs left in a pack. Tore them in half and suffered for 6 months. It is tough but manageable.

Anonymous said...

It's ok to be in this place. It's so ok. WANTING to do something is sometimes the best effort you can make, but it's still a step forward. Every time you try is a success. Once you decide you want to quit, you will quit. The long, hard part is getting to the place where you truthfully want to quit.

Nate said...

Well, you know what camp I'm in on the whole smoking debate... But I also know from watching all of my friends try repeatedly to quit how damn hard it is. So... Hang in there! I'll be thinking about you...

Anonymous said...

Behind you all the way, brotha! Former Smokers UNITE!
(imagine some wonder twin power thing going on here...)

Anonymous said...

^ That was me. Im just retarded.