Sunday, March 25, 2007

Priorities

Decent jobs have been hard to come by this year so far. It has been a lot like change jar savings. A day here a couple there. They help, to be sure. But these jobs have been slim though. When I caught wind that a job may be coming through the end of this month for a nice fat 6 days, I got a little excited. That excitement doubled when not one but two jobs fell through for the week before.

On day one though I found out that the Fri. schedule was actually a night shoot. Where I thought I would have no conflict with the last two days of my show, suddenly I was going to lose one of them. This show and this cast has actually become prety fucking important to me. It may not be the finest theatre in the world, but for me it has felt like an oasis of brave art in a plastic city.

All this aside, I found I was given a choice by my boss that does not always come for a PA. She said that because I was unaware of the night shoot, I could opt to be covered for that night. I tossed and turned all night trying to decide what to do. On one hand it was money, sorely needed. On the other hand, a priority list exsists for just such an occassion. I have survived as a performer by remembering what is most important. Often times (4-5 times a week), the quest for money seems paramount. However, by remembering what is ultimately my goal I can make the tough choices.

This time it did not seem so simple. I have a host of bills coming in after way too many change jar jobs and way too many fallen-through jobs. It sucks to acknowledge that my new line of work, while lucrative, is no more reliable than waiting tables or hoping for hours at the Buck. I chose to work. This time I could do it because I would have my closing night. This time I could do it beacuse it was just once. None the less, this rationel seems all too familiar...

The outcome was positive though. I retained my 6th day when it was questionable and because I gave up a performance I got a 7th day too. I also had a smashing closing night. It was the most fun I've had on stage in a while.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Good to hear the show went well and you managed to make a few bucks... I just opened my show this weekend after nearly a year and half(!!!) break from theatre - and you're right, it feels damn good!