Sunday, November 29, 2009

Etiquette

Thanksgiving weekend is almost over. This year, Tiff and I were on our own with our dinner plans. No one really leaped at our invite the "Second Annual Vegetarian Thanksgiving Smack down." Kinda figured that would be the case and did not mind so much. Nice to have dinner with no expectations. However, the weekend usually has come with awkward family encounters, friends, and strangers mingling that usually don't. For years, I dreaded this holiday as inevitably I would become the topic of conversation for whatever I was doing that was unusual in my family. Whether it be earrings or eyeliner, it was never a comfortable conversation.

I have also marveled at the increased hype towards Black Friday over the years. The craze people descend on shopping facilities is amazing. It also seems to be the cathartic release from being nice the day before. Usually being employed in manners that require working on said Friday, I watch people be damn near brutal towards each other, especially those captive folks that are just trying to earn a paycheck that day.

All this brings me to the point of etiquette. I have such an appreciation for the subject. It seems like a forgotten art, but in line with what I have been more focused on as of late. I believe firmly we can only make it through these tough times by fighting the fights we can on a personal level. Standing up to wrongs in my neighborhood, city, and occasionally courtyard all fit the bill. Using my all mighty dollars where they are deserved also works. The other end of this is treating folks with respect and dignity lest they prove they are not worthy. Courtesy, manners, and etiquette seem lacking so often.

I am not suggesting ridiculous falling over to avoid awkwardness, but simple things like "thank yous" and holding doors. For me, it helps me feel more a part of the human race. It's also an essential aspect to staying out of my own self-indulgent traps. The number of people I have encountered over the last few days that take no account for anyone around them has been tough to take. The percentage is small, but they get the attention.

To me, etiquette is still valuable and applicable today. No I will not throw my leather jacket in the snow for a lady to walk over a puddle, but I will continue to ask folks at counters how their day is. Just needed to rant a little on the matter. Chances are the three readers I have are of a similar elk so for bearing with me on this let me justly say "thank you."