Monday, November 9, 2009

Faith


I was just beginning to get changed at the gym this morning when a guy next to me broke the usual silent protocol to ask if I believed in God. Now this is a strange question to get asked by an utter stranger, let alone while in the locker room. Through people close to me that I love, I have learned a degree of willingness to be more open minded to beliefs that are not necessarily my own. Furthermore I have been made aware how difficult it is for those whose faiths are not the most popular, at least in the circles I run in.

A wise man once told me it takes true faith to be willing to stand on the corner and speak of what you believe. He followed quickly with the grounded perspective that one does not necessarily need to do that though. It took a few years to get that. Usually when I was confronted with a religious view different from mine, I bristled with antagonism. Why? It's what someone else believes. Usually though my ire was up because of a deep seated fear they knew their belief better than I knew what I believed. Even when said beliefs were peppered with threats of what should come if I did not believe as they did, there really was no changing that even their threats were just their belief.

Over the years I have broadened my views considerably. I read a long time ago, "be quick to see where religious folks are right." That is more where I am today. I feel it takes a hell of a lot more courage to talk about what you believe in than what you don't. Bashing someone else's beliefs is far more cowardly than vulnerably standing up for what you do believe in. Our first amendment insures us free exercise of religion as well as freedom of speech. That means our doors are open to all. There are bound to be some disagreements. But we each have a right to be here and practice the faith of out choice.

Today, I am more impressed with those that can express their faith than those who attempt to tear others apart. Nowadays, who couldn't use a little more faith? At very least something positive to look toward?

I was glad to answer the man in the locker room, "yes, I do believe in God." That was as far as I needed to express myself there. He spoke further about his belief and we went our separate ways to workout. To me that was a good moment I may have missed before.

Still working on not sneering at Red Wings fans though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent!!!!!!

Codeface said...

I got your faith right here . . .