Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Standing Up

It seems like all around me, people are struggling. My family. My friends. People I am depending on to try and make ends meet. It's only been a year or so since everything went to hell with the economy and it now seems everyday knowledge. We are all getting by best we can. Hell in some ways times are better than they were before. We pay more attention and look out for each other a little more.

That's what I have been paying more attention to lately. I have noticed more everyday opportunities to stand up. My neighbors have been having trouble with a guy hanging out in our courtyard that doesn't live here. I got the chance to talk to him last week. It was an interesting moment realizing I had a choice. I could confront him and tell him to leave or walk away. I talked to him. I also handled it clean despite being met with vulgarity. Other neighbors have done the same now. While it still feels like a minor issue, it got me thinking.

America seems to me to still be a good concept. It feels like I have considered our country to be the responsibility of our government and media to represent who we are. Right now, it seems we are in more need of day to day accountability. It felt good to be able to confront a small situation at my home. It also feels good to tip well when I have received good service. That helps out as well.

Hell, maybe all these things aren't connected but it feel like we can do something each day with how we treat each other. We can have each other's back and we can say when we are tired of being treated unfairly. So long as our society relies on money, we have the say here. "Who is John Galt?"

Today, that feels like something.

1 comment:

mommasitta said...

Excellent! Well said and very true! Turning to each other has never been so important or rewarding. There but for the grace......... Thank you for sharing!