Monday, November 16, 2009

Protest

I am actively trying to avoid riding the CTA these days. After nearly ten years of hearing the reports for a doomsday cutback if a budget boost isn't found, I am done with caring.

My relationship with Chicago has been like many other relationships with it's ups and downs. It took a long time to warm up to the Windy City, but I do love it now. I finally figured out why people do which ironically was one of my objectives to be able to leave it. Nope, this is home for now. However, there is a tendency here as of late that disgusts me and that is the perpetual raising of costs. This is a working town where many have found they can enjoy the life of a larger city with the some comforts of the Midwest (ie cars, yards, and occasionally secured parking). The town itself though has raised so many regular expenses, it has become tougher to say we are more accommodating than our larger counterparts. The parking meters have gone through the roof since they were wholesale auctioned off. Our sales tax is stifling at 11% downtown. CTA has already raised their rates in recent years a couple times. Hell, we even started taxing candy more here.

Times are tough. WE ALL GET THAT!

However, you can not continually demand more money from people and expect that when less is coming in they can continue to pay it. Myself, I have removed my Jeep from the never-ending money pit of licensing it here. That keeps me out of the meter war as well. By the by, if your meters are so expensive that people need credit cards swipes to pay, it's too fucking much. Thanks for leaving a few behind to park bikes at though. I also only try to buy locally from shops that are local. the chains have very user friendly websites that avoid not only the 11%, but also the hassles of Michigan Ave. tourists.

And CTA? While I can not get everywhere without you, I certainly can more often than not. You offer inconsistent service, delays routinely, and the good people you do employ that get to be the face of your operation get rewarded by never ending threats of unemployment. Nice. I will continue to bike and walk as often as I can to avoid dealing with you. My protest is simply for my own peace of mind. While my words may do nothing to scare you, the dollars I wield else where will.

3 comments:

Codeface said...

Walk Tall . . .

aworkinprogress said...

Totally agreeing with you, friend. Good for you for taking your stand.

Anonymous said...

Well said Jester well said!!!!!