Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cell Phone Survey

I put this out to those of you who will indulge me. What is the best cell phone out there right now? I ask this while watching my 3rd Samsung Sprint phone die painfully. First the displays both cracked, then the covers for jacked broke off, and now the phone periodically needs the battery taken off just to get it to start making calls again. This was the "top of the line" phone way back in Nov. 2006! Tiff and I were talking this morning and the topic of who is the best cell provider came up. Seems neither of us could say we had heard anything encouraging about any of them, only complaints. I am interested in an iPhone and Tiff favors the Blackberry. We are both in contracts to Sprint for a while longer and neither feel inclined to stay. If you ask me (and you did by reading this far), Sprint has lost a lot of quality when they merged with Nextel. Plus, I miss the trench coat wearing spokesman. He elicited peace of mind much better than the Verizon guy. I don't care how many people he has following him.

So is that how we decide who to go to for this service that seems to no longer be luxury, but necessity? We figure out who's adds are more trustworthy and weigh in the number of complaints we have heard against them? Tell me what you know. Who do you like? Is iPhone worth the extra bucks or am I looking at another "top of the line" toy that will be a pain in less than a year?

5 comments:

TSC said...

There is something creepy about the Verizon guy, no doubt!
--T

Unknown said...

Here's the deal man:

iphone is a great piece of machinery... unfortunately... it's cingular/at&t... bleh. They are apparently the best provider out here in LA but in chicago... they suck, I had them for years.

I have verizon and they are fair to ok in LA, but in Chicago they rocked the house... great to deal with and I always had service...

that's my two bits

troy said...

So that's one vote for Verizon

Anonymous said...

My criteria for a cell:

Must have a camera so I can take random pics of interesting things on the street and make them into my wallpaper.

Must be flip phone so that I am reminded of the original Star Trek series every time I get to open it.

Must be blue.

So it looks like I'm not much help for you but let me know what you pick and let me play with it when you get it!-Colleen

troy said...

Hmmm... blue, eh? As it turns out I used my "equipment replacement" option with Sprint since it did no extend my contract. I have a new, red Samsung. It's nice and slim and will likely get me till my contract is up in Nov.