Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hit and Miss

I got word last week from Steppenwolf. That word was no. Boo. What's worse is I had to find out in a truly TV sitcom fashion. When I applied in January, I did not know where to use as an address in April. I chose my folks place in Denver. My Dad had to read the letter to me over the phone. I am really pretty OK with it, but I don't know what else I could have given them. Now common sense tells me, it may not have had anything to do with me. That, however, is of little consolation. On the up shot, I no longer have to wonder what my next few months will be like.

This opened the door for Tiffany and I to look for a place to move sooner rather than later. We have been making the best of Erin's condo in Roger's Park. Both of us have developed affinities for parts of the neighborhood. One for me is the coffee shop I am writing from right now, The Common Cup. It still is not the place we want to stay for long though. It takes me forever to get to and from work downtown, even with an express bus. Additionally, it is still not the safest neighborhood. It has improved drastically since Cory and Rick lived up here and I spent my first night in Chicago with them. I did have to wait for a moronic would-be fight to be dispersed just to get into the cafe though.

We have discussed several places we would like to live ranging from Andersonville to Bucktown. It would seem though that fate is moving us towards a familiar apartment in Lakeview. Known as the Boiler Room by my friends, we are seriously considering Noah and Jason's place. They have both decided to move back to Colorado to pursue their own interests there. The place is available when we want it and is a great deal. We both love the neighborhood and apartment. Plus, Freddie and Laurel live just upstairs. It feels a little like an episode of Friends. None the less it would be a tremendous relief to have this go through and know where we are going to live so long as we are in Chicago. My hope is to follow in the footsteps of its current tenants when the time comes.

Lastly, I am taking off on Saturday for Minneapolis to join Scotty in a brief National Theatre for Children tour. We rehearse in Minnie for 3 days and then head out to Colorado ourselves for 4 days of festival performances. The whole thing feels nostalgic and fun. I have not worked for them since 2004, so it will be great to see everybody up there again. I am also excited to see a lot of Colorado too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the 'wolf gig. But you said it yourself: it likely had nothing to do with how you performed or what you have to offer. Chin up, babe. Oh, and do you want that whole bean coffee now?-Colleen

troy said...

Love to have the coffee, tomorrow's my only shot though till May 19th.

Anonymous said...

I'm home Saturday until 4 p.m-ish if you want to stop by. If not, it'll keep till you get back.

Enjoy your tour and say hi to Scotty for me!-C.