Friday, November 16, 2007

Priceless


So, it's been a week now. I have been thoroughly enjoying being back in Chicago. I have long held the theory that there are 2 types of big city people in this country. There are those that yearn for the life of Los Angeles and those that feed on the frenetic energy of New York. My opinions on LA have never been candid, but I am trying to see the benefits out there. What feels good about being back is some of the familiarity of a more "east coast" type of city. Chicago is what would happen if the Big Apple and the Midwest mated. It's a NY with a little less worldliness and you can have a car here. I am certainly not saying there is not culture here, by any means. It is not of the extent that NY has though. I have appreciated that LA does not seem to wish it were something it is not. That has long been a frustrating factor of Chicago living. It is not NY, nor ever will be. It is great in its own accounts. That's what I love about it.

Yet I digress again. I am happy here right now. My choices are being made as they come up. Sadly that leaves me sounding a shade dopey when asked, "So what are your plans?" I am still saying I don't know, but now I don't feel guilty for it. There is a bad strike going on in the film and TV world. For those that don't know, the Writer's union is on strike. The actor's union is pledging its support. Long story short: There is no work in LA for a union actor in LA right now. While I could go back and likely PA still, without the prospect of any auditions, it seems hardly worth it.

Being back here is giving me a chance to breathe a little and decide what my next steps should be. I am here through Christmas for sure. From there I do not know just yet but may be extending my time in Chicago if the work continues. I may stay in Denver some as well and work out there. There is the prospect of trying to line up some work in NY and finally just give it a shot.

I know I have achieved a lot in a little over a year in LA and that town has been better to me than I have given it credit for. However, it is my hand to play. I can leave the table anytime I want. If that were today, I doubt I would regret anything. I am an actor. I went to Hollywood. I had a good time and achieved a lot. The biggest thing I gained was knowledge that I could hold my own there. In the words of the well-known commercials, that alone is "priceless."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

....Before you leave the table, remember to always count your "5's" first.............