Saturday, July 7, 2007

SPF 365


Time flies when your in the sun. Tiff and I rolled into LA last year on the 6th. I remember it so well. We actually hit town at about 4. We sat in traffic for 2 hours, having just finished up our 2000 mile trek across the country. That was concluded by a fast unload of our 2 over-packed cars. We were staying with her 2 friends, Ian and Amanda, who had a spare room but not in a good neighborhood. Then Amanda, Tiff, and I hopped in the lime, VW bug and went to Truly Vegan for food. God, it is so surreal looking back at that night.



The year since has been right there in suit. I became a PA the next morning and have stuck with it. As much as it may get on my nerves, that job has introduced me to so many people. I learned most of the city quickly and got to do some pretty unusual shit. Production license it is called here. In Chicago, that same thing used to be called organized crime.

I have had a chance to do a lot of work, some stage and some film. I became SAG eligible within a year. Tiff and I have explored a few beaches, cafes, and restaurants that were truly delightful. I quit smoking! Seriously, some things will missed heartily. I have become quite enamored with the city that continues to think money can solve anything. It's like the family member that every year tells the same bad jokes. Sooner or later you sorta start to love 'em for being so ridiculous. LA is no Vegas, but it certainly holds that in common- no excuses.

I have also seen utter misery here. Within days of getting here I stood less than 15' from a gun man shooting at a house of people. I have seen poverty at an extent it forever changes you (the place PA's go isn't always great). I have no real interest in cataloging all the difficulties though. They have been here. Not just because of here. That's what I know about that.


So what now? I have written a lot about moving. That seems in the works. The serious look at what that means is underway. Can I go back to Chicago without just erasing my year of progress here or just hitting my rut I left there? Is Denver or Minneapolis or Seattle a good step right now? A smaller market to test my bigger skills learned in? Hell, just to breathe? To finally have a cup of coffee during a rainstorm again?

Then the most horrifying idea... staying here longer. I can no adequately express how difficult an idea that is. I have relished the possibility of leaving as soon as is possible. Now I may have to stay and even defend it? I don't know if I could win a long round bout in that corner. Personally I am ready to chuck it all and run a coffee shop in the mountains of Colorado somewhere. What do you say Polairess?


You ever truly tried to figure out which star is the second one on the left?

2 comments:

Nate said...

Hard to say - it sounds like you've gotten a really good dose of LA in the last year and honestly put in the time and work to see if it was going to be a place you could stay... If after all that you're still jonesing for a change, then maybe it is time. As for which star to aim for, I think you have a home and people waiting for you in every one of those places, so it's really got to be job / work / theatre related that makes the difference?

Anonymous said...

"Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard. Live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft."

That is all.