Thursday, July 19, 2007

Real?

I got a haircut today. Yeah, kinda slow news day. I was chatting though with the woman that was doing the much needed chopping. We were talking about being an actor. It's sorta a standard LA thing to tell someone you are an actor. Pretty much, who isn't. Hell I'd be willing to bet you shake a Starbucks anywhere here and you will have 4 SAG cards on the ground.

None the less, when she found out I actually preferred to work onstage, she then said, "oh, you're a real actor." Under my little haircut smock I welled with pride for a moment. "Yes that's right I am, " I thought. Hell, I've received stiches for a stage fight, toured a lot of the country, performed in 6 consecutive shows, and graduated from Second City Chicago. I spent more time in a state I was rehearsing one year than the state I lived in. I was once a pirate for 5 months. All said I have cause the reproduction of my headshot over a 1000 times. A kid in Watertown, Wisconsin has my autograph (and I have his, he was 5). I am a real actor! Right?

What got me was when the conversation continued. We were talking about the effort and pains of getting the job. Of the strnge reality that someone can not give you a job because you are too short, too loud, too named after one of their ex's and would be a nuisance to try and get over. To me, it's still just a game. It takes a lot to stay at the table sometimes, but the game itself still does not bother me. I still giggle remembering crashing the Wicked auditions here as #534 with an acapella version of Selfishman by Floggng Molly. Still don't know why they never called.

I like what I do. I love making people hate me as a villain and laugh when I am a clown. I know it's sentimental sounding, but sometimes you have to just say it. Otherwise, you might forget. No one else is really interested in reminding you how great it is to be an actor in real life. There are 3 more waiting for a haircut next.

1 comment:

Nate said...

Heh, that's sweet: "Oh, you're a real actor"...! That's so true, especially out there!