Friday, July 27, 2007

Once hungry...

I have heard it said that strays have nearly insatiable appetites due to their early years of scarce food. I have also heard it said people tend towards those same instincts. If you grew up where things were in short supply, you find yourself inclined to hoarding if available. Well, my upbringing being anything but Disney, I felt the recession on the Reagan era pretty close in my family. I had my first business effort at 8 selling bowling novelties at my Dad's league night. My first job was at 14. I learned early on how to work.

My brother and I show the same tendencies on the job too, so I am inclined to believe we picked up something from our modest upbringing. I usually work harder than needed, longer than required, and with more ethics than could be included in any "at will" contract. These characteristics are all being exploited to their finest as a Production Assistant. The job by its nature is so cruel at times, it's a wonder it has not attracted any legal backlash. After all, it is industry standard to lie on our timecards, work well over 10 hours a day (and then drive 550 Super Cubes), and never see overtime or a full-fledged break.

Nonetheless I like working, still. Not necessarily as a PA for much longer. I am flattered to have heard from most of the coordinators I have worked for in the last year this week. I have established myself as a solid guy to call and depend on. That feels good, regardless of the job. A PA life is one that should probably best be spent figuring out how to get out of being a PA to be sure. For now I will sling the pop-ups and lock-down street corners. It's not always so bad. After all, yesterday I was running 30-yard sprints, back and forth while being pursued by a faux Jet and Giant. Plus I had a stand of cheering NY fans in their best autumn gear... in Long Beach... at Veteran’s Stadium... in 95-degree heat... ah, Hollywood.

I have a ton of work coming and am ok with it. I was offered a role this week for another small, storefront show that I had to decline. It was starting too quickly for me to change my schedule unfortunately. I was flattered nonetheless and had a ball auditioning. LA seems to be a tough town to try and do a play. They take too much time. It is the MTV generation's kinda town. My jobs are measured in days and my lease is month to month. Foundation? Why that's my no contract gym membership and fellowship of constantly changing cohorts.

I am heeding the adage I heard a while back as of late though. Let me not ask for a lighter load, but a stronger back.

At least that’s for now. I also know that every director’s chair and sheet of layout board are bringing in the money that will let me move from here. Funny... just funny

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good blog, baby

xo
t