Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Stay of Eastern Motion

It's been a hell of a week or so. I've had it in mind to write this entry for most of that time. Unfortunately for you, my two readers, I have had a job PA'ing a Lexus commercial. It's been good but a surreal sort of experience given where I had been. When I first got the call, I laughed a little afterwards. I had my bags packed and by the door to escape to Colorado for some head clearing solitude just days prior. I was convinced my days in LA were numbered and that that number was not going to excede 13 months. Hell, I though it may be closer to 12 there for a bit.

Oh and there was the certainty that I was returning to the Windy City also for a bit. It seemed a logical and emotional good choice for both Tiff and I to go back where we felt more comfortable and the leaves changed. How could that be a wrong move? After all, I miss Chicago as much as Denver most of the time. Yet there it was again, the gut feeeling. The same reason I did not leave Chicago in those first 3 years. That instinctive feeling that I was not finished there yet. Now I don't feel LA has the same span to look forward to, but it did seem premature to leave just yet, especially like this.

Mr. Mowery put it great perspective by saying, "you have accomplished as much in a year there as you did in six years back in Chicago."

Kinda true.

On the other hand, I am getting more and more aware of a yearing to enjoy a quality of life again too. I am tired of just visiting it when I go home. Danielle retorted a question about her move to Denver from LA and acting sacrifice quite simply by saying she, "hadn't given up anything by moving." That might be true also, I am beginning to believe.

Yet I digress. This blog in particular is about the choice to stay in the land of Botox and Pinkberry. For now, it seems right. The problem though with "for now" is that it can change on a dime.
Tiff and I were debating this morning about the depressing prospect of another Fall without Fall. We can not even bring ourselves to discuss an utter snow-free Winter. For those that think that an odd statement, try a 100 degree day or two at the onset of December. It is a little tough on the spirits to wear shorts and try to get a Christmas tree on the car.

Today though, my California driver's license is correct. Today, my plates are legally accurate. Today I have a place to hang my hats. Today I know where the coffee is. What will I do when "for now" changes? Well I guess that is never a problem if you can stay in the now. "Now" doesn't change does it? When I refuse to stay with it, that's seems to be when the torque begins. God knows staying with it is a challenge (pun intended).

To bring it entirely up to the moment then, I will continue to enjoy the Dave Mathews playing. I will pour another cup of black coffee and move the clothes to the dryer.

For now...

1 comment:

Nate said...

Hey dude. Sorry to have dropped so far off the radar here and never called you back -- you've been on my mind these last few weeks for sure.

So it sounds, from this post, like you've reached a kind of (temporary?) peace about the situation and opportunities in LA, which is good. My first year in Chicago was good, but it was only at the end of the year that I felt like I "got" it, and the city was starting to work for me... Of course I ended up leaving right then, but it was still an exciting feeling to have put the time into the city and feel like it was all starting to work out.

Keep us posted and meanwhile keep making the best of every chance you get while you're there!