Thursday, December 2, 2010

Cyber Memory Lane

It seems odd now to recall how recently so many of the conveniences we don't even think much about now were not even in the picture. I realize this will make me sound old, but fuck it, I think it's kinda cool to remember when parents had kids because they were tired of getting up to change the channel (all 4 of them) on their own. I am not jumping that far back though today. What launched this train of thought this morning was my attempts to make sure my gym membership had been cancelled. I signed up for it in 2006. Within that very short stretch of time though, I have moved from my first email account at Hotmail to Gmail. In an attempt to see if this was the email address on file, I reopened my Hotmail account to see if I had confirmation. Out of sentiment, I still have it and still take a little pride in the handle "tcjester." I made a new account as this one was besieged with SPAM and when I opened it today, I could still see why. However, as I deleted page after page, I got to look back at where I was when so many of those companies got me on their mailing lists. The one that furthered this online journey back were the emails telling me I had a new message on Myspace. Of course, they were all bands I had never heard of nor knew anyone in, but it made me smile a little that "Death Ye Pizza" extended the offer. While this isn't as mind blowing as say firing up the original Nintendo in my parents basement, it was fun. At times like this, you know Ferris Bueller's final words of advice were pretty accurate.

No comments: