Tuesday, December 9, 2008

This and That

It cracked me up recently to discover I was voted most likely to drink the most on a Facebook survey by "friends." I am not discounting the folks that voted for me versus whoever else was up on the "Compare Me" option, but it did serve as a reminder that Facebook, like every other networking/friend site is a little detached from who I actually am. Don't get me wrong, it has given me an opportunity to keep in touch with some folks that are valued friends, just not in frequent communication.

I was recently treated to seeing some live friends with our friend Jason's sudden visit to Chicago. I kid you not, I had just read on MySpace that he was here for just a short visit and would likely not see all of us when a knock came at the door. There was our traveling Baron right there. We had breakfast at Salt and Pepper and played Halo 2 for a while. It felt like old times for a bit here in Chicago, when Ft. Collins faces were always around.

I have been auditioning again, with a passion. Last week I was able to get out on 3 of them. That helped a lot as far as knocking some of the rust. There was some moments of goodness and some moments of blundering. All in all though, for those 10 minutes or so I was up before people, it was a lot of friggin' fun.

My Meisner class has also been fun for getting a chance to get up in front of people. I have mentioned that I am understanding it to be a tool to use in lieu of Stanisavski's approach. It seems to be based on being true to the moment and following emotioanal truths. All this is well and good, but the effort to implement it has been repetitions thus far and we are just getting into imaginary circumstances. Mostly I am enjoying being active, but I am starting to see where my weaknesses are. Oddly, I can take a direct attack but compliments are like Kryptonite. I also have trouble making a comment that might be offensive and not getting in my head.

Also being in my head lately, my not smoking campaign has taken a minor set back. It has been a week or so since I began having the occasional smoke. Part of me wants to feel good that it has been so minor, but I also know that is irrelevant, it's like They Might Be Giants said, "can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding." In effort to stay honest I wanted to let you all know. I have my quit gear ready to go, stay tuned for a new quit date very soon. Partially I want to get quit again because I have developed a considerable interest in running. I and have invested in gear to keep running and try and improve some. My goal is still to do the Chicago Marathon next year. I have the Rudolph Ramble this Sunday, another 8K. If my 4 mile run today is any indicator, it will be considerably more difficult if it rains or there is any ice on the ground.

That is about enough for now of this.

4 comments:

Nate said...

Sorry to hear about the smoking setback, but glad you're being upfront about it! Hopefully you can get back into your new quitting habits pretty easily... Keep us posted!

aworkinprogress said...

I had a good chuckle over the Facebook vote. Maybe it was the leftover aura of your former self riding through the waves of cyberspace. :-)

No new advice on the smoking front. I know how tough it is. But remember that every single day w/o a cigarette is the addict's triumph, and those triumphs do add up if you let them. Stay focused!

Anonymous said...

you gonna be in 303 for xmas?

Anonymous said...

also- eamil me your snail mail addy, dammit. :)