Sunday, August 19, 2007

Tattoo Survey

So we were sitting around at our apartment the other night (Tiff, Amanda, and myself) and the topic of tattoos came up. Tiff had seen in her time in Chicago what she considered to be the silliest tattoo ever. That was a Chicago Cubs "C" on a sorority type girl. After a little discussion, we decided it was probably a temp. Nonetheless, would a sports team ever be worthy of permanent ink? Some teams don't even seem permanent. Go Expos...eh... Nationals! By the way, anyone find it humorous that our nation's capital team for our "national pastime" came from Canada? I do.

Anyways, I know tattooing is for a few of us. To some it's a fantasy and others a "never going to happen" idea. Nonetheless, it's a fascinating question: what would you tattoo? A few of my sober friends a while back debated sobriety date tattoos. What if you drank again? Also, does that negate the "anonymous" idea?

Tiff raised the point that bands or even teams could be great inspirations for tattoos if they are clever and creative. She sited a tribute to Jeff Buckley she saw that just had his album title and the years he was alive. Very clean and simple.So what's worthy? I love the Colorado Avalanche, but don't think I would get the big "A" tattooed on me. Then again, as Tiff so playfully brought up, my arm now has the word "hey" on it. Personally I like the thought that now matter how you feel about ink later, it will always remind me where I was at when I got it.

So I ask you then, dear readers, what would you get that would be on the fringe? Hit me.

6 comments:

Nate said...

The one thing that always has terrified but intrigued me is the idea of matching tattoos... Although I think I may have found someone it would work out with. :)

But, honestly, I like your answer best - a tattoo represents a slice of time in your life, and even if you change and it's no longer your favorite, it represents who you were in that moment. And that's important to remember.

Anonymous said...

Slightly off subject: My father has around 14 tattoos. A sailor of the 50s & 60s, you know. Several of them are in Japanese. The one on his left forearm is the only one that is still legible, and I asked him what is said a few years back. Turns out it's a Japanese woman's name, and oh, not my mom! Apparently, the aforementioned woman got "Tom" (in English) tattooed on her ass.

The lesson in the permanent nature of tattooing sunk deep, and I've never indulged. Just imagine how you'd feel if your team had a bad season...-C.

magickat said...

My next tattoo is going to be a bar code on my heel.

It's okay if you steal my idea. It's pretty damn awesome.

Anonymous said...

There's this cool Giger-esque spine thing...
:)
Tattoos are so personal, even a stupid looking one can have worlds of meaning to the owner.
I always wanted sleeves, but my mom would kill me. I may put something on my right shoulder to balance my left, but I think I'm close to the end of my ink-getting.

Anonymous said...

My sleeves are 3/4 done at this point - only my right forearm is still bare.

I've been considering getting the words "hold fast" on my knuckles, and leopard spots on my scalp (if can find an artist willing to do it).

-Lubow

Anonymous said...

So true...I remember where, when, who, & why for each of mine, and also for the friends' (such as a special someone named Stupie) I've watched. Working on a new one now and I can't wait to show it to you!! I've broken the imaginary t-shirt boundary, and now there's no going back. I think we talked about this one - the fu dog? Much love...