Sunday, April 29, 2012

Suck

My good friend and I are constantly joking on our hour commute to and from work on, "why do people just suck." It's a humous response generally to someone just being a dick on the road. That, by the way, is never actually necessary. I was pondering this out on a few of my longer runs lately where I am obligated to run on the shoulder of two lane roads. Most of the time there is not too much traffic and it wizzes by around 50 mph without any real trouble. However, on occasion I seem to get the driver that shades closer to the side of the road than is needed. Sometimes still, they are looking right at me while they do it. Trust me, you don't ever stop watching approaching traffic when you are alone running, miles from anywhere. The drift is real and seemingly on purpose.

Why do people suck?

That is the thought I have as I jump back out of the ditch or weeds I retreat to. Then I had a different idea the other day. What if I just pretended they didn't. Further more in my revolutionary idea, what if they were each wonderful? It was a little warm out there the day I fostered this little kernel but I thought, what the hell? I treated each approaching car as a wonderful addition to my day for the 3 seconds we were together, even the ones that edged a little close.

While this sounds "shoot me optimistic" it actually made me feel better. I was less irritated and ran pretty easy from that point on. I am not sure if that is a sustainable idea, but sometimes overshooting is the best way to get closer to goal.

2 comments:

The Whitman Family said...

Ha, nice perspective... I should give that a try to see if people stop irritating me :)

mommasitta said...

Perception is a terrible thing to waste...and can be so amusing too!