Sunday, December 23, 2012

Run!

Run. That used to be my response to many situations I created and should have faced. Over time and much practice, that is no longer my survival mode. It's strange then that everyday, at some point my brain says, "run!" As has been well documented here, I have shockingly turned into a runner. At first it was to bond with this girl I liked. Must have worked some as I now call her my wife. After being tired of trying to catch her, I started running to keep a little nicotine monkey off my back. To some extent that proved successful, although not entirely. To my chagrin, I began to run all the time. It became the pause when doubtful or agitated. It became the way to get out of my head. It became the stress release valve. It became the adventure when not on my own streets. Running became something entirely unexpected… it became fun.

Now I have never been a good person for moderation. It's all or nothing in my mind, despite knowing full well that's not healthy. To me, if I want to run, I have to run all the time. At least daily. Now by unhealthy, "at least daily" is a not a reasonable expectation for me. Yet I still have it. I know I am happier on the days I get out there, albeit for a mile or 10 miles. It helps. Maybe at least daily isn't so bad for this vice.


No comments: