Thursday, February 27, 2014

Humility is Just a Thin Patch of Ice Away

Today began pretty well. Despite some soreness from yesterday's November Project, my easy mile went smooth. The weather had improved and this morning was all but spring like. I had no inhibitions at all about hopping on the bike to ride off to work, even with a heavier than usual bag. One thin film of ice on the slope coming out of my building's parking lot sent me to the ground quick. After dusting myself off and getting the chain hooked back up I headed out to work. The chain suffered some stress somewhere from the fall and snapped off a block from work.

It hurt hitting the ground and I hate waiting till I get home to inspect the damage closer, but all things considered, it wasn't too bad a wipe out. I'm a bit more sore than I was prior to tensing up like that, but it could have easily been worse. As a guy that will ride till it hits zero in the winter, I know there are chances of wipe out. What it did was slap me with some humility in a quick way. As I said, I'll ride in almost anything (run too), and sometimes that makes me a little cocky. I am very cautious on the roads as I trust no one, but my mindset probably needed to come down a notch or two.

With luck, all will be fixed in time to ride tonight. Those are accidents that are not quite so bad.

No comments: