Friday, February 15, 2013

Tempo Run

I am putting in considerably more effort in this marathon training than I have before. I am doing it for a couple reasons. The first is I feel up for the challenge. I had been teetering around the daily running routine for a while and was ready to add some structure to it. The second is that, while I hit a new personal record (PR) on my last marathon, I hit a wall big time n the latter miles that zapped me hard. I missed my target of a sub 4hr marathon by a teaser of 2:30. I am hoping increasing my prep will leave me stronger in those stages of my next marathon. It was tough enough I am not faltering in my dedication by just remembering that feeling.

One of the elements I have added is regular speed days. These are advised on almost every training plan I have ever seen. I have never been that interested in trying them as they sound utterly awful. This has changed this go around as I find myself a tad more receptive to experienced advice. One of the suggested speed workouts is called a Tempo Run. The basic understanding I have of it is that after a warm up period, you run at a high speed for a prolonged amount of time and finish with a cool down stretch. The speed should be fast enough to be uncomfortable and yet still leave you able to speak in short phrases. None of that sounded good till now, to be honest. I run because it's fun, not "uncomfortable."

Today I gave it a whirl. While I can not say it was my favorite workout, I managed pretty well and never gave in to the overwhelming desire to break for a walk. I managed to peal off a new PR for a 5K as well. It was a shock to see my times after were also 2 minutes faster than my regular speed! While I may not embrace my Friday speed workouts, I can honestly say it felt good getting home knowing I tried it. Even better, I didn't have to give up today.

No comments: