Monday, March 4, 2013

Old Man Running Style

When I was in Chicago, I developed a style of running on ice I called "Old Man Running." I rediscovered it yesterday on  my first few miles. It is a process of running with very short strides and the arms are perpetually out a little as if frozen in a step of the chicken dance. The whole body is  a little more stiff and upright. Altogether it looks and feels a little silly and truly is not much in the way of running, but is does work well for remaining on my feet when my ground is quite slick. The other thing about it that always makes me smile is that whenever I am forced into Old Man Running style is that is generally means conditions are a little rough for running and yet I am out giving it a try. The whole thing might be more embarassing if it were not for the fact I am almost always alone in my efforts. Runnin when conditions are less than optimal are some of my favorite times to lace up.

No comments: