Friday, February 23, 2007

Get what you want



It feels good. I just got back from Denver with my new Jeep. It was an adventure to be sure. I travelled out to purchase a 99 Wrangler and ended up buying a 03.

I had the opportunity to decide whether or not to accept an individual treating in less than I should be treated. When I went to sign and pick up the 99, the gentleman (loose term), decided to take issue on a flimsy item. I recently applied for my CA driver's license. Having held an IL license that had an expired face with an extention on the back, it was hole punched when I passed my written test here in CA. Now the problem is, they mail you your CA license and issue a paper, temp license in the interm. It has no photo ID. Consequently, I carried my IL with my to CO just as means of letting people know it was still me. I had no pretenses it was not an ID.

The guy used it as my ID and then said he could not give me the Jeep till he could verify the bank would believe I was who I was. Mind you, I drove through the night to make this apt., awake 40hrs and without eating for the last 12. He would not be reasonable and even admitted any other ID I had would work, but would not change the copy. I had signed everything by this point. He just looked blankly at me and said no. The tone was not of one talking to a customer ready to buy a car but of one speaking to a child asking for another cookie.

I went home, by way of a ride I bummed from my friend at the dealership. I decided just to inquire about a late prosect a different friend had found just days before I left CA. I signed a paper saying I had 48hrs to change my mind if I was not, "completely satisfied with my experience." My friend at the other dealership said the vehicle was still available. I went in and looked. The rest sort of happened in consecuitive order:

-Began paperwork on 03 Wrangler
-Sold Metro for cash money to buyer in Denver
-Approved for 03 Wrangler
-Changed insurance
-Paid cash money for deposit (thank you Metro)
-Drove new 03 to dealer of 99 Wrangler
-Envoked my 48hrs satisfaction guarantee

When the guy asked why, I just told him simply that I did not like the way I was treated. He said there must have been a misunderstanding. I told him no, I had understood him just fine.

To me, buying this car is a huge step. I went to CO just feel comfortable with who I was dealing with. I am so glad that I had the chance to remain firm in my choice to make this what I wanted. It felt good. More to come...

1 comment:

Nate said...

Way to go, dude! That car looks sweet, sorry it was a hassle but it sounds like it ended up for the best...