Monday, April 23, 2007

Yes, it is ironic...

It has been an interesting time of self discovery as far as acting goes. The adventure of the feature film vs. the license plates was exciting. Sadly, it turned out to be a lesson for lesson's sake. The film folks were never that great about communication, calling with little or no information. Well, as soon as my head popped out of my ass and I said I was ready to commit to the project, all within the time I was offered to do just such a thing, they renegged. I was told via voicemail they were reading someone else for my part and would let me know. They way I grew up, that meant I would be contacted. In Hollywood, that means we won't talk to you again if we like this guy. The latter proved true.

While this could have been a real pisser, I am not so bummed. I got a serious priority check and feel grateful. The film folks were a little bent on the rehearsal process too. They insisted on several rehearsals, demanding perfect line reads even while sitting in an uncomfotable row with chairs next to each other. The email also seemed more to request perfection in every word than process. I tend to be more of a shoot from the hip guy, enjoying the keep it fresh approach. However, I also seldom feel a performance couldn't have been a little better.

How much preparation is enough and for me when is it too much? I know there are several actors (probably even on my block) that have trained extensively for what they do. I occassionally envy this knowledge. Then again, I watch their performances and wonder if they even realized they have dissected the life out of the character. I treasure my improv skills and always feel a connection in that I can react as my characters should the show veer from the text. I lso know I need to get some more training. Th desired result is to have the know-how and be able to use it sellectively, keeping the characters still fresh and in the moment.

And yet, in Hollywood acting is so little about skill for most of us. The old adage of "who you know" is apt in any large city it would seem. It certainly helped in Chicago. Here it is the only way to even get seen. Contacts are the acting Google map. I am slowly backdooring my way towards my final SAG voucher. Contacts I have made on set with other PA's, AD's, and even a Gangboss are paying off. I feel at times like a whiney bitch continually playing out my delema of trying to get my final 3rd voucher. However, I deliver these plights as a challenge and am findin repeated mentions are gaining me allies. Our Gangboss on the Trojan job was a good friend (and fellow Bronco fan) and made a call for me. As it stands right now I will be called to do a SAG background job on Wed or Thur. I got the job by describing myself on the phone. By the by, try this once for practice so you don't feel as odd if ever asked. Just a suggestion I recently experienced. As for the job, I will cellebrate when the film is rolling.

Lastly, I depart this Fri for Ashland, OR for a huge Shakespeare festival audition. I am so excited to go, but have never put so much effort into just getting to an auditon. I drove from Chicago to Dtroit for a Second City audition once. So far that's it. To me getting this OR job would be a life-saver. I would get out of this spiritless, rainless city for a while and get to feel artistic again. More than anything I am excited to get up there and just try. I have always felt my tallent is tempered with a serious tenacity. Better, more skilled actors than I have long since given up the stage. I hang in there. It's the only thing I really want to do. So I keep showing up. I crash Wicked auditions with Flogging Molly songs.

By the by. It rained last weekend here. I can honestly say there are times when LA is beautiful.

1 comment:

Nate said...

I crash Wicked auditions with Flogging Molly songs -- dude, I'm going to be so pissed if you don't make some business cards with that on them! Brilliant!