Tuesday, April 10, 2007

California is Expensive

I am not usually one to keep stress to myself. I'd like to think I am not a bitcher, but I am aware when something is on my mind I usually let everyone know. That being said, many of you already are aware of my License Plate stress. Since I bought the Jeep in Colorado, I was not charged any sales tax at the time of purchase. This is also the time when you are awarded financing amounts. Ergo, If you buy the vehicle in the state you live, your taxes are added to your total and then they solicite for that amount to be financed. At least that is what I just learned.

California has a nice online estimate calculator which gave me my first scare a month ago. Apparently, I needed to pay ALL my sales tax on the Jeep at the time I wanted to get my licnese plates. This was calculated to be about $1600ish. That figure has kept me awake at night.

It has morphed into a tremendous monster. Here's how out of control this situation has gotten. I recently have been slammed with work. It is truly a blessing as not all of it is backbreaking. None the less, my license plate monster living in my brain is warping perspective on everything. I have that MUST FUCKING WORK ALL THE TIME mindset of the desparate. This is not entirely a problem in and of itself, but it can become one. Irealized that today.

I have been cast in a feature film (indy) as a lead. I went to my first rehearsal today still unsure what was exactly going on. One minute I was to be called-back, then that cancelled, then they were trying to schedule rehearsals. I never heard the words, "we want to cast you." Consequently I went in a shade skeptical. My monster took control when they outlined how much time they want to rehearse and then the shoot schedule. From my entrance to acting I have been given several bit parts and must confess the time commitment is always the redemption. I will not have that this time. I am one of 5 lead characters and will have multiple days of shooting. The monster heard only, "you will not work and will be worse than broke, you will not have enough to live."

I asked to stay after the rehearsal and talked with the director. I told him I did not think I was their guy. I needed to work badly right now. He listened and then without needing to offered a reality check for me. This is a lead role in a feature film. That does not come around often in this town. He added that money is good and needed, but it should not deter from what is in your heart to do.

I remembered moving back to Chicago at one point after a tour without enough money to get an apartment, just because I had an indy film shoot scheduled. I also remember living for about a month on the food I took home from my two jobs, rather than throwing it out at the end of the day.

Suddenly the light was turned on. This monster had to go. I went directly to the DMV to begin my exersism. I had just what it would take to pay my estimate. I am also intimidated by government paperwork. This was a two fold good time coming. I kid you not, at 4pm on a Tue, I walked into the DMV and to the counter right away. No time to collect myself. The woman I spoke to was very helpful, constantly repeating in a thick Russian accent what I needed to do. I paid my $1690 and had just 45minutes to go get my Smog Test (a CA right of passage) and get my vehical "verified" at anouther location. After another $50 at the gas station down the street, I was comforted to know my Jeep is not responsible for excessively smogging. I was also out of time for the day.

The end result here. I have a temp tag in my window for CA (plus the CO tag in the plate holder). I paid more for my license plates today than I have paid for anything else ever (without using credit cards). The monster looks a bit stupid and I feel a booster shot of direction was administered. I am still a bit freaked, but that I think wiill always be there so long as my priority is acting and not money directly.

None the less, please attend my Bake Sale fundraiser later this month!

1 comment:

Nate said...

Sorry to hear about the expenses, but that's super sweet about the film -- and way to step up and address the issues. It sounds rough right now with inconsistent work, random big bills, and all that, but I think you made the right choice. You da man.