Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Plausable Deniability

What a great term: plausible deniability. Or even deniable plausibility.

That fantastic term was used in Kubrick's Dr Strangelove as a government stance. It described the ability to outright do something while being completely able to say it's not being done. While our government seems a laughable, scary machine of ineptitude these days, it still seems like a likely term for them to use.
What makes me bring this up was a conversation I had with a good friend this morning. I made a joke about taking a U-Haul to Minneapolis for DuoTeam's wedding. Just an off-hand joke based on my well-known dislike for LA and eagerness to move. Ha-ha. Right? Well I found out a short time later that a few friends that know me fairly well actually were not sure whether or not to laugh. Apparently I have earned an air of unpredictability. For better or worse, there you go. Who hasn't dreamed of just taking off with whatever could be grabbed in the span of ordering a latte? As it would seem, I could do it without shocking many people.

Is that a good thing or bad? Who knows? Who cares?

What's important is the people I have in my life. I keep in touch, best I can. Provided I stay upfront and honest with them, it seems my unpredictability isn't such a bad thing. Maybe that's just my perspective though.
Tiff and I keep trying to take the next right step out here. Where those steps lead is anyone’s guess. Today, home is still at the bottom of the hill with the Hollywood sign.

As for my personal deniable plausibility? Well, I don't want any further shenanigans called. I will let you know what I know. I stayed in Chicago for 6 years with just the vague idea there was more to be done. Most of that time I did not know what exactly was left. I am still here on the same reasoning. Till then, have another glass of rainwater.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you both should move to Steamboat Springs with me.

-Lubow

SevenLegs said...

Make mine with grain alcohol, if you please sir.

And don't forget the Sonoran desert always welcomes those who are looking for something.