Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Winter Biking


I have previously announced I will be attempting to bike through the winter here in Chicago. Thus far, this has not been too rough. Much thanks to Duo Team for their posts on winter biking as that helped me avoid some simple mistakes. Last week I winterized my bike some. I took it apart to degrease and lube it for the first time. I also added a rear fender and front "gunk guard" that I am very happy about. I no longer have to avidly avoid water on my ride down to work. I also picked up a pair of lobster gloves that work fantastic with my Ice Breaker liners. My next steps are to increase visibility some with a couple more lights and add a vest for the short segment of my ride down Michigan Ave. So far so good, but we are also just starting to see ice and snow. I am eager to give it a shot to get the anxiety out. It feels great when I get off the bike to know I just got where I needed to go on my own power. The best was riding to my Thanksgiving 8K (37:49.3 @ 7:37/mi). I got to "park" right next to the starting line. It also feels like I am keeping my legs in shape while my weekly runs have dipped.

2 comments:

mommasitta said...

Yea you! Is there such a thing as chains for bikes? I suppose you would not need a shovel to dig out with. I think its awesome that we can be independent from expected, if only once in a while! Yea freedom!!!!!!!

Nate said...

You'll love it! Especially with a "gunk guard" the snow is just plain fun... But yeah, use more lights than you think - you need to be a moving Christmas tree for some drivers to notice you! Keep us posted!