Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Working Theory

As of late I have been observing the differences in approaching my job that I have as opposed to some of my colleagues. I discussed previously the difference between talkers and do'ers. What I have realized recently is the difference between faith in ones employees and lack thereof. I have always held that if I have the right people working for me, I should have faith in them to do what is right for business and trust the quality the have. There have been occasions where this is not possible, but more often those are the exceptions and once known there is little doubt as to what to do. I always have believed if you can not trust the people you have working for you, you have the wrong people.

Routinely though, I find myself working with people that feel unless every step is laid out, their employees will never be effective. It seems a breeding ground to drive zeal and thought out of a work force. Guidance is necessary, but to a degree. If all thought is removed, it will eventually yield thoughtless people that either quit or will never rise above what is given them. McWorkers. Oddly these managers seem to want that. Their reasons could be easily guessed at, but why bother? The point being it is tough to watch them transform vibrant work forces to atomitons. My trust may be optimistic, but the people I am responsible for more often than not do excellent work when given some responsibility for it.

Besides, life seems to rarely go according to a plan.

No comments: