Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Digital Junk Drawer

I've recently started trying to clean up some file on my computer, namely my photos. They seem like a virtual vision of throwing them in a drawer for the last 8 years. With many different computers and cameras they all seem to be in different files and organization. I just recently noticed my music also needs some clean and purging as well.

When I moved to LA a few years back, I took my extensive CD collection and moved most of it onto my computer. To my parents chagrin, the now pointless cases are still boxed in their basement. While this allowed for a considerable downsize in space and weight, my music library overflows with filler songs on albums I was never that interested in. This becomes very apparent when out on a run and I just hit shuffle. At least once a run, I recognize a singer or band but have no idea why I have a particular song. There are great artists and groups I love having entire albums of, but certainly not all of them. With the mainstreaming of digital music and photos, the old idea of house cleaning seemed like an unnecessary task. They take minor space and why bother?

Well, it would seem there is good reason to bother. Beyond keeping many junk files from bogging down my machine, it feels good to let go of the stuff that I don't need. Much like finally taking unwanted clothes to donate, getting rid of the songs, albums, and blurry pictures makes me feel better. Technology continues to make so many things easier and faster, but I don't necessarily need to max out my music capacity because I have it. Much like the spirit of the Year of Good, I'd rather have a few beloved tunes than a ton of ehh.

No comments: