Thursday, September 26, 2013

17

Tiff and I took in the last Rockies home game last night. It was not only our anniversary, but the final home game for a player that has been with the Rockies all 17yrs. of his career. He has put up Hall of Fame candidate numbers and beyond the tactile stats, he stuck with the Rockies even though most of his years with them showed little if any promise of October ball. The player is Todd Helton and if you couldn't guess from the picture, his number is 17.



It was a unique experience to see the ball club showing its appreciation for an amazing career. So often baseball players get traded, sent down, or just don't come back in the spring. To get to say thank you and good bye was an exciting thing to be a part of. If it sounds like my inner 8yr. old shuffling through his baseball cards is talking, that is true. What I love about the game is that part of me will always feel like a kid watching it. In that regard, occasionally a player or team can become elevated beyond my rational, adult thinking. But it's fun to believe and hope. I chose to focus on the fun of that and just enjoy it.

I was also great to watch Todd Helton hit his final home run at Coors Field last night. Thank you for the great memories Helton! It has been fun!

No comments: