Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thoughts on running so far in 2013

I punched out my last long run this morning and thus begin my taper period to the Denver Rock n Roll Marathon on Oct. 20th. Today was a 22 mile run. That is a lot of time to reflect. With the temperature in the mid 40's to start and around 60 when I wrapped up, I was able to truly think on this strange and wonderful year of running so far. I ran the Colfax marathon in May and pushed harder than I ever had before, landing a new PR of 3:50:20. I ran through two blizzard conditions training for it and had a healthy appreciation for what it takes to get faster. Then, 3 weeks into my training for the Rock n Roll, I got the idea to sign up with PAWS and try for a marathon double header in the fall. I have never find raised before and suddenly my solitary activity of running required a lot of support. Acknowledging my limits, I yielded my second marathon to a more experience fund raiser and became content to do my best for my Denver race. Then, fate intervened and offered me a chance to go to New York once again and represent Team PAWS in one of the largest and greatest 26.2mi. runs. I have now been in training, running almost everyday for all but 3 weeks this year. I've logged close to 1100 miles this year alone and raised a little over $1500 for homeless pets in Chicago (hopefully enough to save a few lives). I'm grateful and overwhelmed by the support and the effort. It's been fun so far. 

No comments: