Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Santa is my Ride Home

It had been a while since I dropped a Captain line or two. Truth be told, I was getting a little sick of my one note rants. The song "Should I Stay or Should I Go" is really only fun to sing once or twice in row. My apologies to those that have observed this "obviousness" way before this so-called defender of the obvious.

In any case, here's what I know for right now. Chicago is a great place and one I am appreciating more on this go round. Before I left, I had gotten pretty fond of it here. One of my final requirement to move was to figure out why people like it here so much. I did. One example though that I want to offer occurred the other night. Tiff and I are up in Roger's Park here, a neighborhood far to the North of most of the fun. It also traditionally isn't a great neighborhood, but has been changing in the years since Cory and Rick lived up here. Well, the other night a car horn was being laid upon repeatedly. This was not an alarm, which if you live in the city you should not use anyways; your car is too far away for you to save it and theives can disable them faster than you can find the keys. I went out after a few minutes to see if the situation was bad. When I got out there I was able to catch a Chicago Police woman giving the third degree to a lady for waking up the whole neighborhood. Then she determined she was drunk and a going to try to drive despite being told not to and arrested her. In that span of time 4 more cop cars came by. I felt actually "protected" here. Now in LA we called the cops about 5 times due to disturbances at the gas station behind our apt. and never saw one car. Hell, we usually were on 911 hold for 5 minutes anyways.

It is also nice being able to see snow this year. Christmas lights, snow, and generally festive feelings have made this a more exciting season. Last year I remember having a couple days over 100 degrees after Thanksgiving. I even cranked the AC in one of my production trucks that week before Christmas just to feel a slight chill. I was in shorts and a t-shirt at the time. Sounds like heaven? Try it, I did.

I am heading out now to do a little Christmas shopping. I don't have my Jeep here, so it will be aboard CTA. Yesterday Tiff caught the Christmas train. A woman on it said it was a good portent of things to come. That's how I feel today. I fly back to Colorado the night of the 24th. I do feel good things are coming.

2 comments:

Nate said...

Hey! We're gonna be out in CO for Christmas, too! We're driving overnight on the 24th, get there Christmas morning, and then stay til the 30th. I need to coordinate with Mowery and you, but it would be great to find a time to see each other!

Anonymous said...

I'm totally going to miss you. We drive up to Durango on the 25th and won't be back intil the 29th, wherein we leave the next morning.
Boo.