Monday, November 10, 2008

Back in Class


As result of a discussion with Tiff a couple weeks ago, I went and signed up for a class. I have long heard that taking a Miesner class would help me a ton. I decided the time was now and went and signed up for one at Act One Studios. That simple act has caused all sorts of fun second guessing.

What had long held me back from taking a class was the belief that the gut was the best tool for stage work. A couple years ago though, it occurred to me that denying myself further training to stay out of my head fell into the same logic as not doing design work (ie staying a barista and poor) so as I would stay hungry, literally, for acting work. I now believe that to truly trust the gut, knowledge can be either helpful or hindering, but not in and of itself harmful. This may all seem simple enough, but it took me a while to put it together.

Class was fun though. I am to understand the first steps in Meisner technique involve observations and repetitions. Basically we sat across from partners and told them what we saw and repeat what we heard. I enjoyed it a lot. The two things I found out was that I am not intimidated to tell people what I see nor bashful about hearing what they see. The second was that consistantly I heard that I looked confidant. That surprised me some. Actually, hearing I looked like Flea really surprised me.

I love what I want to do. Being in front of people, entertaining... that is still the only thing I want to do.

1 comment:

aworkinprogress said...

I'm so glad that you are taking & enjoying a class! If nothing else, classes give the actor a forum to experiment with material & techniques that he/she might not have opportunity otherwise, and I think that that is invaluble.