Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Semantics


Semantics. I love this word. I first heard it in college while doing a directing scene with Cody and Rick. The rough definition is that it refers to a play of words that just takes you the long way to the same point. The idiot encyclopedia defines it as such. The reason I bring this up is that it feels like there are a lot of semantics in my life right now and the world around me. We are not calling the current economic crisis a "depression" because "recession" seems to have a better ring to it. Plus the Great Depression lasted ten years or so and I don't think anyone wants to commit to that length of time. None the less, it's pretty friggin' depressing out there. I am seeing some very talented, good workers no longer able to keep their jobs.

On that front, there has been almost no work happening in film auditions. The threat of a SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) strike has kept everyone from really starting a project. I was told last night from a friend in LA work has been slow there. That means it is officially nigh-dead everywhere else. This began last summer and has been a constant threat ever since. For the record, I am on the SAG side on this one. I have constantly heard how stupid it would be to have a strike while things are so bad. True. Voluntary not working would blow. However, if your boss came to you and said, "We are only going to pay you for a week of work this year, but want you to come in the other 51 just like normal and make us some money," what would you say? Times are tough, but that is exactly why we are getting asked to only be paid for a little of our work. That does not mean you won't pay for our work, but we won't see it. Eh... it pisses me off. Movies boomed in the thirties and it would be foolish to have the industry grind to a halt right now. Not only is there some money to be made, but people could use the entertainment more now than yesterday.

Also, my quitting smoking has been less than stellar. I "quit" on the 10th, but have had a few over that stretch of time. By my always too high standards, I have not actually quit. However, the smoking junkie in me knows I have not been smoking like I would without effort. I have even pulled off stretches of days in there with nothing. I am concerned about the occasional cigarette that it would become acceptable, just like it did in December when I abandoned a 6 month shot. The trouble with the occasional, is that eventually a bad day comes and you have more. Unlike my dad, I do not revert back but maintain at that pace. I also don't want to just start up again to make a clean quit. The running has been more fun not sucking for air. I even pulled off a 7.5 mile one last week with little trouble. I am told just keep trying and that I will.

Maybe this is all just semantics though.

1 comment:

TSC said...

MWAH
You will make it. I have complete faith.