Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bad Religion show

Last night I had the chance, thanks to my wonderful wife, to see Bad Religion in concert. They have long been my favorite band and I have only had the chance to see them a couple times. It was a tremendous gift and I could write volumes on my wife's thoughtfulness. Hell, I probably will. Who are we kidding?

Yet I digress.

It was fantastic to see the show last night. They played some of my favorite songs and I was impressed at the presence of a band with decades of experience performing. The put on a powerful, high energy performance that was awesome to take in. It reminded me of how different it is to experience music, not just hear it. I was also yet again moved by the powerful lyrics that has made Bad Religion a long lasting favorite. It was an all encompassing great experience.

I almost didn't go.

Right now, extras feel unnecessary. Going to a show felt like an indulgence that "shouldn't" be entertained. Regardless of the ticket being a gift, it felt irresponsible when so much else needed to be done. I could see that it meant more than my entertainment to Tiff for me to get to go. That one of the many ways I know she loves me.

I also thought about my buddy Scott scraping together cash to see one of his favorite performers in our destitute days in Chicago. He said the experience will last him a lifetime, the money wasn't as significant.

I'm glad I went. For the love and the experience and just a chance to see people doing something powerful they have done and loved for so many years.

No comments: