Friday, April 19, 2013

Fast Fridays

Every Friday, I lace up with some reluctance. Friday's are speed workouts. Unlike the rest of my training, speed remains one workout I dread that never seems to be getting easier. Each week I head up to the park and zip two laps at an "uncomfortable" pace. In total it's about 3 miles of speed and a mile warm up and cool down. As I returned home a clicked off my watch. I saw mile paces well below my routine pace. I have been in the mid to upper 8:00 range for regular runs and today I saw my fast laps were between 6:24 and 6:34 per mile. It finally hit me why this workout keeps staying tough. I am getting faster each week right now. Ergo, each week remains at an intensity I have not done before. While that is a gratifying realization, it does not help me dread Friday runs any. I am consoled in that I have one more week of tough running before my taper period. Progress is cool, but the will to lace up each week is it's own victory.

No comments: